Welcome: A Word from the Memoir Network Director on
How A Writing Coach Can Help You Write Your Memoir—Better and Faster.
Thanks for stopping by. You are probably here because you are facing some of the challenges of writing a memoir.
- It takes a long time to write a memoir.
- It takes much patience and skill.
- It brings back a time that is gone by and that can be sad.
We know—we’ve been there. We’ve used coaches, too. A writing coach offers you:
- organizational help,
- instruction as you need it,
- useful feedback for every stage of the process,
- emotional support as your energy flags,
- techniques for expressing yourself effectively,
- guidance in shaping each element of your story so that it reads well and tells the whole story you want to share.
For many writers, their relationship with a memoir-writing coach will prove one of the biggest factors in their success. Call us today at 207-353-5454 or email us to schedule a free session to consult about your writing.
Let this be the year you write and finish your memoir.
Writers Who Benefit from Working with A Memoir Writing Coach:
- first-time writers. Many have always wanted to write a book and see a memoir as their entry into print.
- one-time writers who feel compelled to tell their story and know they will not be writing another book.
- experienced writers—usually in other genres so, technically, they are first-time writers!
A memoir-writing coach is a skilled professional who helps you to articulate, strategize, and reach your memoir-writing goals. A writing coach offers a “just in time” solution of encouragement, guidance, teaching, prompting, counseling and planning. Here are some examples of our interactions with writers.
- Some writers come to us bemoaning, “I want to write a book but I don’t even know what I want to say.” No need to feel bad about that! We start by having them compile a Memory List. Once they have done that, we will help them to articulate their story and its theme and then animate the story with vivid details. If this were you, you would be proud of the results.
- Other writers have already outlined their stories and written parts of their memoir, but the manuscript is uninteresting. We ask them to put the outline aside and simply write vignettes and scenes that are interesting to them. Starting with those stories that speak to the writer is a way to get a manuscript to come to life.
Your input, questions, and suggestions have moved me to a deeper level in writing the truth. Your honesty and compassion has helped me to trust you as a memoir writing coach.—Joe Duncan, Memoir Coaching Client
Working With a Memoir Writing Coach Just Makes Sense!
A memoir writing coach is someone you can learn from: you wouldn’t train to run a marathon or decide to rewire your house without how-to advice from someone who knows what there is to know. (When you’re new to any art form, you usually don’t even know what you don’t know.) How much truth should you, can you, tell? How do you start writing and keep going? Your coach will help you with this and much more—”just in time.”
A memoir writing coach is someone you can lean on: the personal attention of an experienced memoir writing coach will support you through the creative project of writing your book. Your coach knows the weight of painful memories can hold you back. Do you question whether you even have the right to tell your story? Your coach can help you with that. (See You Deserve a Memoir—free in our Member Area.) A memoir writing coach is an expert: lifestories are our specialty.
I want to thank you for pushing me the way you so nicely do during my telephone sessions with you. It feels as if I’ve had a session with my therapist instead of a memoir writing coach. Everything takes on a new slant and makes me want to write so much better. I can see things so easily I didn’t see before. How did you get so smart?—Melanie Caouette, Memoir Coaching Client