Working with a memoir ghostwriter can bring you great joy as you collaborate to produce the book you have so long dreamed of. On the other hand, it can be a nightmare. Here are five questions to ask the references your memoir ghostwriter has given you about working with him or her. Was the memoir ghostwriter able to meet deadlines?
1. Was the memoir ghostwriter able to meet deadlines?
Deadlines can be intermediate such as the pace of writing (50 pages a month) or when the draft copy is due or when you want to be holding the book in your hands. If the writer did not meet deadlines, was there a good reason—one being that the reference kept changing parameters of the memoir. Was re-negotiating timelines easy? (It is not necessary for you to have deadlines. Some people want their stories finished “whenever.”)
2. Was the memoir ghostwriter reliable about keeping in touch?
Did she return phone calls and e-mails in a timely fashion? It is unsettling to be left without responses to your questions and concerns. When responses came, did they address your concerns or gloss them over?
3. Is the memoir ghostwriter a good, non-judgmental listener?
It is imperative that your ghostwriter listen to the story you are telling and neither impose his/her own ideas on the story nor judge it. Listening is a very important skill in a co-writer. While you do not want your writer judging you, you do want however to be challenged in your views. Very often, this will consist of responses like,”You say your mother was supportive, but the example you gave does not support that. Can you give me another example?”
4. Is the memoir ghostwriter curious and knowledgeable about history, geography, politics?
The Memorable Story / Write Your First Memoir Draft
The Memorable Story / Write Your First Memoir Draft is a self-paced, long-distance writing program designed to teach you what you must know and do to create a meaningful and insightful memoir—a truly Memorable Story!
- 11 comprehensive print and audio instructional modules, full of actionable steps.
- 11 finely tune affirmations to counter any limiting beliefs and boost your self-confidence
- a generous library of e-books and MP3 downloads that augment the program.
On sale with a generous $100.00 discount: Was $199 — now only $99!
Invest in your story; invest in yourself. Register today. Was $199
- now $99.
A good writer will expand on the setting of your story to give it a “bigger picture.” A good writer can set a story in a context that will give it more presence. The story will seem-and be-more substantial
5. Is the memoir ghostwriter a pleasant person to work with?
You do not want to deal with a moody person who will be rude and absent.
If you have any doubt about the reliability of the reference, ask your memoir ghostwriter for another.
2. Call 207-353-5454 today for a free consultation about how we can collaborate to write your memoir or email me at [email protected]
3. Download the free Consumer’s Guide to Ghostwriting Services. (Look for the book cover photo on the right-hand side of the page.)
This post is one of over 500 informative, well-written articles we have made available to you on this site.
We’ve contributed to your writing success; now we ask you to contribute to the expansion of the memoir conversation.
By reposting this article on your blog or website or reposting on your favorite social media, you will inform your fellow memoir writers of the programs and services—many for free like the blogs—that are available at TheMemoirNetwork.com.
Thanks for your generosity. You rock.