It’s time to add depth to your memoir. One question that I get over and over again from writers is “How do I add depth to my memoir? I feel like I am skimming the surface.”
Here are links to five information-packed blog posts that are sure to make you think more deeply about your writing—and help you in the important task of re-writing your stories and vignettes so that they form a more coherent and meaningful whole.
- Telling the Hard Truth in Your Memoir – Are You Holding Back
The post will challenge you to be more open about your story. A memoir needs to demonstrate courage. Is yours doing so? If not, here are some suggestions.
- Better Than Writing Prompts – Five Tips for Creating a Memory List
Writing prompts are a write-by-numbers gimmick. I feel they are all about writing from the outside in instead of the inside out. Do you know what is better for writing from the inside out than using a writing prompt? Click above to find out—and they’re actually quite easy to implement.
- An Important Memoir-Writing Tool: Life Phases
This one organizes—and deepens your memoir—in a dynamic way. Forget about starting with an outline. Use this sub section of the Memory List.
- Avoid Clichés and Stereotypes
Perhaps I should have added to the above title: “like the plague.” But, that would have been a cliché, wouldn’t it! Clichés and stereotypes are guarantees for superficial writing.
- Use an Archetype of Your Experience to Revive Your Memoir.
I love archetypes. They explain so much of what we are and do. No skimming the surface here. Archetypes are big-time about depth.
I hope these tips on how to add depth to your memoir will help you to do so.
Remember: whatever you do today, write a few pages of your memoir.
What would happen to the memoir conversation if…
- …you took a moment to present this informative post to your friends and family by linking this article on your social media? Just a click. It’s so easy.
- …you reposted this article on your own blog or website? It’s free and you’d both have some valuable content to boost your blog’s reputation and you would be providing your readers with valuable guidance. For the best procedure on how to do this, click here.
- …you subscribed to our YouTube channel?