Can you assume you can depend on your memory when you write your lifestories? The problem with this assumption is that memory isn’t always as reliable as you may want it to be! What are the best interview practices to find out if your memory is spot on?
Interviewing relatives and others for memories
In this video lesson, “Best Interview Practices for Writing a Memoir”, you will study why to conduct an interview with people who shared the experience you are writing about and how to do so. The lesson is geared to interviewing older relatives but it is just as true of interviewing a sibling, a progeny or a co-worker.
Here are three takeaways of this video:
- Memory can fail you. You simply may not be able to recall the information you need to write about another person—or yourself—with accuracy and detail.
- Memory can mislead you. It can blur the negative role you may have played and cast another’s positive role in the shadows. Memory does tend to be flattering to the one doing the remembering. Conversely, it may elevate your having been “bad” to “really bad” when you were merely thoughtless or small in your actions.
- Memory can simply be wrong. Time has ways of altering a memory. You may forget that you didn’t know the facts at the time. You may confuse other people’s accounts with your own experience of an event. It is also possible, because of your age or your needs at the time, that you had a partial or biased view of all that happened and why.
Click below to watch the video lesson.
The Memorable Story / Write Your First Memoir Draft
The Memorable Story / Write Your First Memoir Draft is a self-paced, long-distance writing program designed to teach you what you must know and do to create a meaningful and insightful memoir—a truly Memorable Story!
- 11 comprehensive print and audio instructional modules, full of actionable steps.
- 11 finely tune affirmations to counter any limiting beliefs and boost your self-confidence
- a generous library of e-books and MP3 downloads that augment the program.
On sale with a generous $100.00 discount: Was $199 — now only $99!
Invest in your story; invest in yourself. Register today. Was $199
- now $99.
Be sure to like this post so that it becomes more available to other writers.
What would happen to the memoir conversation if…
- …you took a moment to present this informative post to your friends and family by linking this article on your social media? Just a click. It’s so easy.
- …you reposted this article on your own blog or website? It’s free and you’d both have some valuable content to boost your blog’s reputation and you would be providing your readers with valuable guidance. For the best procedure on how to do this, click here.
- …you subscribed to our YouTube channel ?