Conveying Theme Effectively
Underlying all of your stories is its theme. The theme is really a message, the global way in which you understand your story—either in its entirety or in its parts.
The theme conveys the essence of the you (or the them) that you want the reader, and history, to know and understand. The theme provides spirit to your piece, the breath of life that individualizes your life story.
Get your memoir written more quickly and expertly. A writing coach helps you at every step of the process, pointing you in the right direction and gently correcting your course. An editor helps you scrutinize your manuscript to go deeper and be more insightful.Which do you need now to write a better memoir? Free consultation. 207-353-5454 or email today.
1) The theme is dependent on your insights. Insights are glimpses of understanding. (“Oh, that’s why—or how—she did that!”) When insights accumulate, as you view your stories over time, and bring them into ever sharper focus, you begin to see larger, broader conclusions about your subject’s life–and even the meaning of life itself. The themes of your stories evolve from, and are synonymous with, these conclusions.
Self-serving excuses should not be confused with insight. For instance, we might write in our life stories that it was because of our parents’ style of raising children or of the strictures of our ethnic group or of the limitations imposed by our socio-economic class that we have not achieved certain goals. Of course, this “insight” fails to account for our failure as adults to create our own opportunities to overcome these very real shortcomings or to turn them into advantages in a creative way. This so-called “insight” then is really a self-serving excuse to avoid doing work on how we live our lives.
2) Discover the theme of your story as you proceed. It is all right to begin writing without a specific theme in mind. As you write, and re-write (rewriting is crucial in deepening your sense of the story’s meaning), be attentive to the theme which may gradually reveal itself to you. This process can be an intriguing one if you are open to it. Theme is revealed as you find yourself using certain words and phrases or expressing certain ideas over and over again. Discovering your theme in this way is not only important but it can catch your interest and make your life writing compelling. It will keep you coming back to your writing.
Good luck developing your memoir’s theme!
What would happen to the memoir conversation if…
- …you took a moment to present this informative post to your friends and family by linking this article on your social media? Just a click. It’s so easy.
- …you reposted this article on your own blog or website? It’s free and you’d both have some valuable content to boost your blog’s reputation and you would be providing your readers with valuable guidance. For the best procedure on how to do this, click here.
- …you subscribed to our YouTube channel ?