The following is the first installment of a three-part series on the use of myths and archetypes in memoir writing. In this first post of How to Write Your Personal Myth Into Your Memoir, I write about both archetypal patterns in general and about the martyr archetype. In the second post, I write about the orphan and the martyr. In the third post, I write about general considerations of using myths and archetypes. These posts are excerpted from Turning Memories Into Memoirs / A Handbook for Writing Lifestories.
What is your personal myth? Myths are the stories we create to express how we perceive the world and life. How we live our lives is determined by the myths we live by, but our lives also reveal our myths to ourselves and to the world.
What are your myths? Look at your life, at your feelings, at your responses to others. That is where your myths reside! That is where your life as a myth can be found.
Write Your First Memoir Draft Program
The Write Your First Memoir Draft Program is a self-paced, long-distance program designed to support your writing and maximize your production.
- 11 print and audio insructional modules,
- 12 monthly mastermind calls
- a generous library of ebook and MP3 downloads,
- surprise bonuses to enhance learning and retention.
On Sale Through September 26 – Save $50.
Invest in your writing; invest in yourself. Register today.
In this video, How to Write Your Personal Myth Into Your Memoir Part 1, we talk about how the dominant psychic forces called archetypes, play a powerful role in our lives.
For our “21 Best Memoir-Writing Tips to get you writing—quickly and well,” click here.
Be sure to like this post so that it becomes more available to other writers.
What would happen to the memoir conversation if…
- …you took a moment to present this informative post to your friends and family by linking this article on your social media? Just a click. It’s so easy.
- …you reposted this article on your own blog or website? It’s free and you’d both have some valuable content to boost your blog’s reputation and you would be providing your readers with valuable guidance. For the best procedure on how to do this, click here.
- …you subscribed to our YouTube channel ?