Your Manuscript Needs Proofreading.
You’ve written your book and, while you have not had memoir proofreading done, you’re feeling positive about your manuscript. Perhaps you’ve had ample coaching or careful editing and now you feel your text is ready for publication.
“Let’s publish!” you say.
BUT WAIT A MINUTE!
There is one more step! Every lifestory needs memoir proofreading—it’s sometimes called “copy editing.”
Just as, when you have cleaned house and are almost ready for your guests to arrive, you will do a last look around.
Why is it that it’s only then that you notice you have forgotten
- a pair of shoes by the door,
- a few glasses you washed ten minutes earlier still in the dish drainer
- the wine which is sitting on the counter rather than in the fridge.
Your manuscript needs tidying up, too. It’s called memoir proofreading.
In the same way, your manuscript is likely to have a few “tidy up” spots that have not been taken care of. Perhaps there are
- questions that are punctuated with a period.
- homonyms that neither spell-check nor anyone picked up: a “pear of shoes” anyone or how about a “pair compote”?
- both the real name and the pseudonym you intended for its replacement. (Speak of confusing to the reader!)
- some words that should have been italicized but for some reason were not—sacre bleu, what happened to the italics!
Proofreading comes after editing.
“But I’ve had my book edited,” a writer will continue to insist. “Isn’t copy editing at this point redundant?”
And you’ve vacuumed the rugs and put the laundry away but there are still glasses in the dish rack and the wine has not been chilled!
Your editor was focused on the development of your story and on its polish. S/he actually did much to eliminate typos and grammar mistakes and to check names and dates, but that was not his/her focus.
Your proofreader will be focused on these elements—and on nothing else.
Proofreading is a last stage that must be taken care of to prepare your manuscript for publication.
Be in contact. We would love to serve as your proofreading team.
We help bring your manuscript to its next level!
Questions before you buy memoir proofreading?
Give us a ring at 207-353-5454, M-F, 9-5 ET or email us to set up an appointment. Suggest three dates and times that work for you and we will confirm one.
Take the next step & get in touch with us today!