Launch yourself today as a Memoir Teacher!
Start your university-quality training now to become a Memoir Teacher in an inexpensive, easy-to-access program.
As a Memoir Teacher, you will play a satisfying and important role in nurturing memoir writers. Over the years, I found this to be so.
As a workshop leader:
“Looking around the room, I saw memoir workshoppers were engaged in a lively discussion of a manuscript—praising what was good and suggesting modifications where they felt some change in perspective or language or characterization would bring readers more insight. What was sure to evolve was a better memoir. How satisfying can my work be—and to think I was getting paid for this!”
As a coach or editor:
“With some clients, our work together has started with much apprehension on my part. ‘Can this person ever learn to write! The prose is so stilted, the insight so limited, the imagery too complicated to create any meaning.’ Then over the months as we work together—patiently and respectfully— the client begins to be a better writer. The dull manuscript begins to shine, and I feel such satisfaction about what I have helped bring about.”
As a ghostwriter:
“People will say to me as they read what I have ghostwritten for them, “Were you ever a… [here fill in the blank: trial lawyer, cost estimator, nurse]? How do you know all of this?” All I can say is I am using my intuition to get inside of people’s lives, and I earn an income in the process. It doesn’t get better. This can be your future also.”
This is the right time to launch yourself.
Interest in memoir writing is running higher than ever. Wherever you live, there are people in your area who want to leave a written record of their lives but who have little idea about how to recall the details of their story, how to develop a memoir character, how to pace and shape a book of memoirs so that it is interesting and meaningful.
There are many people in your community who need to work with you to develop their memoir-writing skills—whether you choose to teach, coach, edit, ghostwrite or to offer your clients all four.
How can you become a successful memoir teacher?
Success doesn’t call for a certain personality. For instance, extroverts and introverts alike can do well. Even levels of formal education are not predictors. But…
Achieving success as a memoir professional does call for certain traits. Traits that lead to success include:
- being a memoir writer yourself. You wouldn’t expect a golf teacher not to be a golfer!
- improving yourself as both a professional and a writer. This implies always to be learning to be better at both. You need to invest emotionally and financially in your professional development.
- having empathy for people. Encouraging writers to share intimate stories—whether to a group or to you—calls for a non-judgmental approach and deep listening. People did their best even if—often by their own estimation today—it was not very good.
- being patient. Writers are struggling to incorporate newly acquired writing techniques into their memoir. It takes time to convert knowledge into skill. That practice is one reason clients have come to you.
- enjoying the facilitator role—if your chosen medium is the workshop. A facilitator steps back and let’s the group take over for a while. There is much collective wisdom within a group of adult learners.
- accepting that you tell the story in another’s voice—if you are a ghostwriter.
The Memoir Network takes the pain out of starting up.
We have been active as memoir professionals since 1988. In that time, we have led workshops, coached clients, edited manuscripts, ghostwritten books and prepared memoirs for publication for hundreds—and even thousands—of people.
In that time, we have seen how the Memoir Teachers who do best are often those who offer all the memoir services.
Workshops are often the base for building a successful memoir business. We provide you much help to make offering a workshop easy and successful. Workshops will provide you with
- extensive solutions to writing problems—emotional blocks, stylistic difficulties, using memory effectively.
- effective handling issues writers bring to their memoir creation—self-doubt, fear of failure, thoughts of insignificance.
- excellent outreach for coaching, editing, and ghostwriting. At one point, I estimated that 40% of my workshoppers went on to purchase another memoir service from my company.
Offering workshops using our Curriculum Manual will launch you effectively in the world of memoir writing.
Choose between package or à la carte options.
1. The full Memoir Professional Package comes to you with
- A proven Curriculum printable as an easy-to-use manual. This curriculum has already been tested with tens of thousands of apprentice writers around the world. (Memoir Professional Packages have been used worldwide—in Canad, Israel, Japan, Zimbabwe and Poland to name only a few.)
- An Editor’s Manual to organize and accelerate your entry into this lucrative sideline.
- A Speaker’s Manual to serve as a client generator system.
- Business Development MP3s to provide strategies for making a critical and financial success of your efforts.
- Easy-to-implement guidelines are offered throughout the package as appropriate in the various components for effectively conducting your memoir business—this is not a case of theory without hands-on material. (Many professionals have earned full- or part-time income with our manuals as their basic references.)
I expected the Memoir Professional Package to be full of information—but not this full. You guys know what you are talking about. It felt like I was in good hands to launch myself as a memoir professional under your guidance. I feel confident now to teach memoir writing. It’s been good.”
—Lynda McDaniels, Memoirs for Life
2. À la carte
We also make the material available by title:
Many professionals who have decided to teach memoir writing have also been interested in our Photo Scribe line. You can become a Photo Scribe teacher, too.
A Photoscribe Teacher helps individuals to preserve their family stories within the context of a photo album. S/he leads workshops on how to preserve family stories in writing in scrapbook albums. A great addition for a Memoir Professional or a scrapbook consultant.
Selling The Memoir Network books on your site and/or as back-of-the-room sales at your workshops and programs will bring you added income. For information on Volume Discounts on hardcover copies of Turning Memories Into Memoirs or The Photo Scribe, click here.