Writing Time Wasters Do Not Elude Me
I’m no more immune than anyone else to the plague of time wasters. Time wasters are habits we fall into that consume the time we have allotted (or could allot) to writing so that we end up not writing! Here are some of the most insidious, that take up too much time and squander my writing energy.
1. Checking on e-mail before I begin to write for the day. Either it takes up a lot of time as I read through the e-notes or I come across an e-mail that gets me charged and I begin to write a scathing (or, depending on your point of view, insightful!) e-mail in response.
2. Needing to research a point “a bit more.” This is a very tricky one as research is essential to a well-written memoir. In this time waster, I forget that “perfect” is the enemy of “good.” In my quest to write the perfect piece, I forgo writing a good piece. The solution presents itself when I begin to feel that I already have more material than I can possibly handle–I know then it’s time to write!
3. Letting my best writing time of the day be co-opted. In this time waster, I think, “Yes, I can do both. I’ll do this other thing first and write later (obviously it doesn’t occur to me right then that ‘later’ I might be tired and in no mood to spend time writing!). When “later” comes, I might think “Well, for this one time, it’s ok not to write.” The problem, of course, arises when the “one time” occurs too often.
4. Answering the phone. This leads to much loss of energy and the assumption of all sorts of tasks that need attention “right now!” It’s more productive to let the answering machine or service take the calls and return them at a later time.
Writing time wasters can be avoided
The dreaded time wasters can be avoided, because as we know, “Knowledge is power”. To become aware of writing time wasters is half the battle and now you know what to look for. Do you have a “favorite” writing time waster that I haven’t mentioned here? Write a post below.
The MEMOIR PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE is a digital jumpstart program for lifestory writing teachers and personal historians. The MEMOIR PROFESSIONAL PACKAGE includes all the manuals and MP3s from the Associate Teacher Package ($225):
• Turning Memories Into Memoirs® Presenter’s Manual
• Turning Memories Into Memoirs® Curriculum Manual
• The book Turning Memories Into Memoirs
• The Lifewriter’s Memory Binder
• The MP3 of the Turning Memories handbook –PLUS–
• The Editor’s Manual (value: $54)
• The Speaker’s Manual. (value: $49) This contains all you need to create a dynamite outreach strategy. Speaking is the most important marketing strategy in your first months of launch or re-launch.)
• Half-hour Consultation with Denis Ledoux (value: $40)
• Business Development Coaching MP3 (4 recorded sessions created by Denis Ledoux (value: $39.95)
• 3 MP3s (value: $29.95)
• Eligibility to pursue Certification (The full certification assures your success.)
• Build Your Memoir Business [Book] ($9.95 value)
This is a $447.85 value for $350 There is nothing to lose when you purchase this package. If you feel you didn’t get your money’s worth, let us know within 30 days of your purchase, and we will see to it that your money is refunded. No questions asked.
Click here to buy the Memoir Professional Network today.