Many writers suffer from writer’s block, yet few understand its possible causes. Memoir writing certainly has its difficulties which can create it. There are a number of reasons that contribute to difficulty in writing.
1. In memoir writing, “writer’s block” can be the result of dealing with uncomfortable material. Perhaps you haven’t admitted to yourself the importance of your topic or you are not yet telling the truth about it. What are you evading? What is the worst consequence that could happen to you if you write this story honestly?
2. Perhaps you are writing your story from someone else’s point of view. Writers who uphold someone else’s version of a story rather than their own will find the unconscious balking. If you are blocked, ask yourself if you are actually writing from your point of view. Sometimes coming to that awareness can be enough to help your writing to flow once again.
3. Sometimes “writer’s block” is the way your unconscious has of telling you you’re not writing about something important enough. Sometimes the writing flow is waiting for us to come upon a more substantive idea. If you feel blocked, ask yourself if your current topic warrants the time you are putting into it. Sticking to a topic of secondary importance is not conducive to good writing. Your writer’s block my stem from boredom or self-awareness that you are skirting the real story of your life.
Honor your writing effort by choosing to confront your uncomfortable material, to create from your own point of view, and to write about your life in ways that are important.
QUESTIONS FOR CLARITY:
- What are you trying to avoid writing about?
- What is the worst thing that can happen if you do write about that subject?
- Am I writing from my perspective or somebody else’s?
- Is this story worth my time and effort?
If you need help with motivation, contact us about coaching services. Working with a coach can help you move through situations such as these.
A digital book is easy and inexpensive to produce and it is even easier to distribute. Is your book available in digital format? If not, call us today at (207) 353-5454 or email:email@example.com to learn how we can produce an ebook for you. Quick and not costly.
For the best ebook publication, click here.