Memoir Authority. Personalized memoir-writing courses with one-on-one contact for when you need closer mentoring from a memoir master writer.
Perhaps you need more than the free basic My Memoir Education can deliver?
If you are a member of our free My Memoir Education, you know it is an excellent launch. It delivers much free quality material to writers seeking to write the best memoir they are capable of, but a free program cannot provide you access to personal, one-on-one mentoring. For most emerging writers, this mentoring relationship with a master author is the extra component that carries them to writing success. And closer mentoring can make a positive difference in your writing life, too.
Your participation in one of the courses of the Memoir Authority provides a personal contact with a memoir master writer and with peers. The personal relationships in these courses will accelerate your writing process and hasten the day you hold in hand the hard copy of the memoir you dream of writing and publishing.
Write Your First Memoir Draft Course
In the Write Your First Memoir Draft Course over a seven month period, your participation will not only keep you in the memoir conversation but the live interaction with writers will provide the context to generate the First Draft of Your Memoir. Your work in this course will be the catalyst that will help you to write the best memoir you are capable of writing. Join us today.
What you’ll receive in the Write Your First Memoir Draft Course:
1. The MASTER CLASS with a nationally-recognized memoir master writer or an acknowledged leader in the memoir-writing field
If you wanted to be a masterful French chef, wouldn’t it make sense to observe masterful French chefs and study how they approach their craft? And…
If you wanted to be a really good tennis player, wouldn’t it make sense to sit in on games of skillful players and observe how they execute their game?
The MASTER CLASS will bring you an opportunity to observe how master writers of memoir approach their craft. These articulate and accomplished writers will leave you with much to emulate. I have taken great care in directing the conversations so that they will be maximally useful to you—no wandering off topic here!
Month after month, you will have the benefit of following a memoir master writer discuss her/his approach to memoir writing and to dissect her/his experience. Each Master Class lasts about one-hour and comes as an MP3. You get to listen in whenever you want to—and as often as you want to. You will want to do just that as each Master Class contains much technical and motivational guidance.
Kathy Pooler Interview - MP3 Excerpt
Kathy Pooler hosts the web blog The Memoir Writer’s Journey.
- Audio Excerpt — MP3 Download
- For example, your first Memoir Master Writer is Kathy Pooler. Her blog The Memoir Writer’s Journey is among the finest on the web on memoir writing. Every month, Kathy runs numerous posts of guest writers and memoir experts—making her site a must-visit spot for anyone going for success as a memoir writer. Kathy’s archives deliver a massive amount of information about the priority elements of a successful memoir. She will be your first master teacher. Don’t miss out on this Master Class. Click on the download icon to the right for a sample of what you will get.
2. The WRITE YOUR FIRST MEMOIR DRAFT TELE-CLASS (a live session)
As a member of Memoir Authority, you will sit in twice a month on a manuscript-writing class. The Write Your First Memoir Draft Tele-class calls for an editing review/critique by a professional memoir master writer and a group of your thoughtful, insightful peers—and this is available to you on a rotating basis! So…one day soon it will be your turn to receive a thorough and insightful critique.
Twice every month, Write Your First Memoir Draft Course members spend 90 minutes in this tele-class tweaking manuscripts to bring out the depth of the stories and to polish their style and their structure—that’s 22.5 hours of contact over the semester. You receive the selected manuscripts several days in advance and annotate them with your comments and suggestions. Then, we gather on conference line (the tele-class) to share our reactions. You’ll be pleased at how much this process will affect your ability to edit your own work so much more effectively—whether we critique your story that day or someone else’s.
In this way, whether your text is chosen or not for a tele-class critique, you learn how to critique a piece of writing—and, by extension, your own writing. (Audios of these sessions will be available to all course members as downloads.)
3. The MASTERMIND GROUP TELE-CONFERENCE (a live session)
The Mastermind Group Tele-Conference is your second live contact every month—providing an additional 7 hours of contact over 7 months. For many writers, the live contact is the missing factor in their success. As in the tele-class, every session is recorded and available to you for repeat listening.
Once a month, in the hour-long Mastermind Group session, you get to ask the group—both me and everyone else—the questions you have about memoir writing:
- “How do you do foreshadowing in a memoir?”
- “What is this Oxford series of commas I was reading about?”
- “I’m having trouble telling the story. Is it really such a bad idea to fictionalize a bit to get through?”
You get to vent about the challenges you are having:
- “This researching details to fill the gaps in my story is taking too long!”
- “How do I dealing with the painful memories that arise when I write about my sister?”
- “I keep thinking: ‘So what! Who wants to read this?’ “
Whatever your question or concern, the Mastermind Group will speak to your needs, and your fellow authors will ask you, too, to respond to their needs.
If you have ever felt working alone was wearing you down,
- participate in this Mastermind Group,
- feel the support of your community,
- hear how your writing mates are solving similar issues, or
- listen to them encourage you. “You can do it! You’re on your way!”
Just need to say what you are doing these days? They’ll be room for that, too! Or, you want to find a memoir on a topic similar to yours so it can stimulate your writing? Some one will know the very book you need to read.
4. The FOCUS WRITING SEMINAR
- The Focus Writing Seminar is a recorded didactic presentation on various memoir-writing topics selected from the topics requested by members—you. These mini-courses will vary in length and will be available to members both on the site and for download to your computer.
- The Focus Writing Seminar is delivered to you as an MP3 that you get to download and review time and time again—each time discovering a new gem to improve your writing and your identity as a memoir writer.
5. The E-BOOK CLUB
Should I Write My Memoir - Excerpt
This eBook will help you decide whether or not you should write a memoir.
- eBook Excerpt — PDF Download
- The Memoir Network Writing Series is a growing collection of quality e-books. Each month a new e-book will be available to you as part of your membership. Your e-book will be another mentor to help you author the best memoir you are capable of.
- In My Memoir Education, you received a print and MP3 excerpt of Get Started and Keep Going. That short e-book was expanded into Should I Write My Memoir? and has had an active life as an Amazon Kindle e-book. Should I Write My Memoir? is available in its entirety in the first month of your membership. If you have not done so already as part of your Memoir Education, download a preview of the full length version of this e-book:
6. An INSTRUCTIONAL MP3 from our archives
Get Started, Keep Going on Memory Lists - MP3
Denis Ledoux speaks about using Memory Lists when writing lifestories.
- Audio Excerpt — MP3 Download
- Your first instructional MP3 is from the tele-class, Getting Started and Keeping Going. This is a recording of an information-filled tele-class presented during a previous November Is Lifewriting Month. In My Memoir Education, you can download a Memoir Authority preview on Memory Lists of this MP3. As a member of the Write Your First Memoir Draft Course, you can listen to the entire tele-class MP3 as well as to a different instructional MP3 every month.
- Early, Early Registration through January 14, 2016: $850.00 with the added bonus of the Memoir Start-up Package
- Early Registration tuition through Monday, February 17, 2016: $850.
- Registration tuition after February 17, 2016: $950
• Successfully completing this course fulfills the writing component of becoming a Certified Memoir Professional
• Completion of Write Your First Memoir Draft Course qualifies you to join the Polish and Revise Your Memoir Course (to be offered in February of 2016).
In the second and ensuing months of your membership in Memoir Authority’s Write Your First Memoir Draft Course:
- In Month 2, you receive an interview with memoir master writer Kate Christensen, author of the memoir Blue Plate Special. Christensen won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction in 2008. In Month 3, you get an interview with memoir master writer Monica Wood, author of When We Were the Kennedys. Monica Wood has won multiple awards for her writing.
- In each subsequent month, you receive another Master Class MP3, a new e-book, a live Q & A Tele-class, a dynamic Editing Session, and more.
The Memoir Authority FAQ – Click here.