The Memoir Network hosts a premier site for people wishing to write their memoir or teach memoir writing. We invite you to publish your thoughts
- on writing personal and family stories in our Memoir Writer’s Blog. Your memoir guest posting will provide inspiration and guidance for writers within and outside The Memoir Network.
- on leading memoir-writing workshops, coaching and editing for our Memoir Professional’s Blog. Your guest posting will inform and motivate our Memoir Professionals.
Please read the following:
- Your posts must be about memoir writing specifically, about the culture of writing (the writing life), or about doing memoir work as a professional. Examples: characterization, writer burn out, scheduling, organizing a virtual book tour, organizing an outreach campaign for a workshop. We do not accept articles that promote your products or services or affiliate links. (Your bio is where this is done.)
- Articles should be between 400 and 700 words, but we have used material up to 1,000 to 1,200 words on the blog. All material should contain breaks in the form of subtitles. Lists are also fine.
- Your article needs to contain a key word phrase (vs one key word: “memoir”) that is used at least four times in the article. Using the key word phrase in the title is a plus. Excerpts, too, must follow this key-word-phrase rule. (This may require some re-writing.)
- Your memoir guest posting must not have been used elsewhere first. We are fine with your reprinting the post after 60 days on your own blog or web site, but we ask that you attribute the first printing to The Memoir Network’s Memoir Writer’s Blog or The Memoir Network’s Memoir Professional’s Blog. You may not submit the post to another blog at any time. Doing so is grounds for blacklisting and having your post removed from our site. A book excerpt is an exception to this rule.
- The post must be ready to print. That involves no spelling or grammar mistakes and tight writing. Generally, we will not edit but may on occasion do some tweaking. You will not receive a revised copy to approve. On occasion, we will send an article back that we really like for your corrections or tightening. When resubmitting the article, include the photography and the bio again. Mention that it is a resubmission. (We will probably remember your article but just in case….)
- Your bio needs to be in the 20-40 word range with one link to your blog or website—you can choose the linked page. You may not link to a blog or a website other than your own. You may send a headshot of yourself (500px minimum x 500px minimum at 72 dpi) to accompany the bio.
- A photo pertaining to your topic to go with your memoir guest posting is a must. It needs to be in the public domain or be from your personal collection and must serve as an illustration for your article. Please send the original web link to the public-domain photo. If it is from your own photos, please say so. In the interests of time, I will use your submitted photo and only exceptionally use another.
- It would be greatly appreciated if you posted on your blog or web site in a prominent location a note that you have posted an article on The Memoir Network’s The Memoir Writer’s Blog or the Memoir Professional’s Blog. This note should contain the title of the post along with a live link to your post. The wording can be thus: “Visit The Memoir Network’s The Memoir Writer’ Blog/The Memoir Professional’s Blog for my recent article, XYZ.” Promotions on various social media are also appreciated.
- We ask that you reply within 24 hours to comments on articles. The conversation with the readers is an important function that we promote.
In the interests of time, when you send your query, include your guest post and the photograph(s).
If we do not respond within a couple of weeks, get back in touch with us with the original query, the post and the photograph(s). This will save us the time of finding your original material. It is also possible that we have lost it—in which case, we do not want to go on a search. Send to guestblog(at) thememoirnetwork (dot) com.
The fine print
Your memoir guest posting to The Memoir Network’s The Memoir Writer’ Blog/the Memoir Professional’s Blog must not have been published prior to its publication on our blog—an exception being an excerpt from a printed book.
Except for excerpts from printed books, ALL RIGHTS to the memoir guest posting are transferred to Denis Ledoux. I may use your post in any number of ways including but not limited to: ebooks, MP3s, e-courses. I will always attribute to you the authorship of the source material. I will not however provide you with monetary or other compensation of any kind for the article. If this is not agreeable to you, please do not send a proposal for posting a guest article. When you submit a guest post, you are agreeing to these terms.
With warm regards for a creative and mutually rewarding collaboration,