Memoir Authority. For when you need closer mentoring.
Perhaps you need more than My Memoir Education can deliver?
My Memoir Education is an excellent membership. It delivers much free quality material to writers seeking to write the best memoir they are capable of, but a free program cannot provide access to personal, one-on-one mentoring.
Your membership in the Memoir Authority will accelerate your writing process and hasten the day you hold in hand the hard copy of the memoir you dream of writing and publishing.
What you’ll receive every month:
1. The MASTER CLASS with a nationally-recognized memoir writer or an acknowledged leader in the memoir-writing field
If you wanted to be a masterful French chef, wouldn’t it make sense to observe masterful French chefs and study how they approach their craft? And…
If you wanted to be a really good tennis player, wouldn’t it make sense to sit in on games of skillful players and observe how they execute their game?
The Memoir Authority’s MASTER CLASS will bring you an opportunity to observe how master memoir writers approach their craft. These articulate and accomplished writers will leave you with much to emulate. I have taken great care in directing the conversations so that they will be maximally useful to you—no wandering off topic here!
Month after month, you will have the benefit of following master writers discuss their approach to memoir writing and to dissect their experience. Each Master Class lasts about one-hour and comes as an MP3 which will be available from day one of your membership. You get to listen in whenever you want to—and as often as you want to. You will want to do just that as each Master Class will contain much technical and motivational guidance.
Kathy Pooler Interview - MP3 Excerpt
Kathy Pooler hosts the web blog The Memoir Writer’s Journey.
- Audio Excerpt — MP3 Download
- For example, your first Master Teacher is Kathy Pooler. Her blog The Memoir Writer’s Journey is among the finest on the web on memoir writing. Every month, Kathy runs numerous posts of guest writers and memoir experts—making her site a must-visit spot for anyone going for success as a memoir writer. Kathy’s archives deliver a massive amount of information about the priority elements of a successful memoir. She will be your first master teacher. Don’t miss out on this Master Class. Click on the download icon to the right for a sample of what you will get.
2. The MEMOIR MAKEOVER
As a member of Memoir Authority, you will sit in every month on a manuscript makeover. A memoir makeover calls for an editing critique by a professional memoir editor and a group of thoughtful, insightful peers—and this is available to Memoir Authority writers on a rotating basis! So…one day soon it will be your turn.
Every month, Memoir Authority members spend an hour tweaking one or three manuscripts to bring out the depth of the stories and to polish their style and their structure. You receive the manuscripts several days in advance and annotate them with your comments and suggestions. We gather for a tele-conference seminar to share our findings. You’ll be pleased at how much this process will affect your ability to edit your own work so much more effectively.
In this way, whether your text is chosen or not, you learn to critique your writing. You become an editor of your own work. (Audios of these sessions will be available to all Memoir Authority members as downloads.)
3. The MASTERMIND GROUP
In the hour-long Mastermind session, you get to ask the group—both me and everyone else—the questions you have about memoir writing:
- “How do you do foreshadowing in a memoir?”
- “What is this Oxford series I was reading about?”
- “I’m having trouble telling the story. Is it really such a bad idea to fictionalize a bit to get through?”
You get to vent about the challenges you are having:
- “This researching details to fill the gaps in my story is taking too long!”
- “How do I dealing with the painful memories that arise when I write about my sister?”
- “I keep thinking: ‘So what! Who wants to read this?’ “
Whatever your question or concern, the Mastermind group will speak to your needs, and your fellow authors will ask you, too, to respond to their needs.
If you have ever felt working alone was wearing you down,
- participate in this Mastermind group,
- feel the support of your community,
- hear how your writing mates are solving similar issues, or
- listen to them encourage you. “You can do it! You’re on your way!”
Just need to say what you are doing these days? They’ll be room for that! Or, you want to find a memoir on a topic similar to yours so you can stimulate your writing? Some one will know the very book you need to read.
4. The FOCUS WRITING SEMINAR
- The Focus Writing Seminar is a didactic presentation on various memoir-writing topics selected from the topics requested by members—you. These mini-courses will vary in length and will be available to members both on the site and for download to your computer.
- The Focus Writing Seminar is delivered to you as an MP3 that you get to download and review time and time again—each time discovering a new gem to improve your writing and your identity as a memoir writer.
5. The MONDAY PEP NOTES
- Ever wish you could get a pep talk every Monday morning to get you going? When you check your email when you first sit at your computer, these pep talks will be waiting for you. Regardless of your writing schedule and commitment, they will re-focus and renew your enthusiasm and motivation. They will also contain a reminder of Memoir Authority activities occurring that week—perhaps the Memoir Makeover, a new Focus Writing Seminar or the Q & A Tele-class. Your Monday Pep Notes will be a connection with the Memoir Authority writing community and to its support.
6. The E-BOOK CLUB
Should I Write My Memoir - Excerpt
This eBook will help you decide whether or not you should write a memoir.
- eBook Excerpt — PDF Download
- The Memoir Network Writing Series is a growing collection of quality e-books. Each month a new e-book will be available to you as part of your membership. Your e-book will be another mentor to help you write the best memoir you are capable of.
- In My Memoir Education, you received a print and MP3 excerpt of Get Started and Keep Going. That short e-book was expanded into Should I Write My Memoir? and has had an active life as an Amazon Kindle e-book. Should I Write My Memoir? is available in its entirety in the first month of your membership. If you have not done so already as part of your Memoir Education, download a preview of the full length version of this e-book:
7. An INSTRUCTIONAL MP3 from our archives
Get Started, Keep Going on Memory Lists - MP3
Denis Ledoux speaks about using Memory Lists when writing lifestories.
- Audio Excerpt — MP3 Download
- Your first instructional MP3 is from the tele-class, Getting Started and Keeping Going. This is a recording of an information-filled tele-class presented during a previous November Is Lifewriting Month. In My Memoir Education, you can download a Memoir Authority preview on Memory Lists of this MP3. As a member of Memoir Authority, you can listen to the entire tele-class MP3 as well as to a different instructional MP3 every month.
In the second and ensuing months of your membership in Memoir Authority:
- In Month 2, you receive an interview with Kate Christensen, author of the memoir Blue Plate Special. Christensen won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction in 2008. In Month 3, you get an interview with Monica Wood, author of When We Were the Kennedys. Monica Wood has won multiple awards for her writing.
- In each subsequent month, you receive another Master Class MP3, a new e-book, a live Q & A Tele-class, a dynamic Editing Session, and more.
The Memoir Authority FAQ – Click here.